Published on

[Clubhouse] Live is not a feature, it's a bug.


The problem with live broadcast is that we can't skip ahead or speed it up.

In a world of overabundance of superb media content to consume, live is not a feature, it's a bug.

Whenever I see a Live broadcast appear in my Facebook feed, on Reddit, or somewhere else, I scroll over it as fast as I can. I don't want to taste my attention on unedited material.

The more edited, the better return on attention (ROA) we get. Books, scientific articles, feature movies and music albums are examples of things that has undergone heavy editing and been long in the making. A movie may take years and the talents of hundreds of people to produce, only for you to consume it in a couple of hours.

With editing ideas are distilled and refined before reaching your senses and mind. A lot of haze and fluff is removed, and the essence what remains.

Looking back five years. Are you most grateful now for the (live) news you consumed then, or for the books you read and the movies you watched?

How about to apply the Pareto principle to your attention? Allocate 80% of your time on material that have high permanence. The remaining 20% to ephemeral sources like news, magazines, sports and social media.

Is Clubhouse a trap? The allure of exclusivity and the Fear of Missing Out (FOMO) can trick us up. Rationality can get highjacked by short term emotions.

I get invites to live webinars all the time. Many of them have interesting topics. But for each of those webinars, there are probably dozens of YouTube videos covering the same content. I happily trade away the live experience and opportunity to ask questions for the ability to skip ahead and play at 2x speed. An extra bonus is that I don't need to adjust my schedule. I can watch it whenever suits me.

I didn't watch the Felix Baumgartner's epic jump from space. I saw the highlights of it the day after. What did I miss?